Some eateries in Labuan still using polystyrene

PHOTO: THE polystyrene that was using to pack the food for lunch at one of the eateries in Financial Park on January 5 this year. 

January 6, 2017

LABUAN – Despite the ban imposed effective January 1 this year by the government, some eateries in Financial Park were still using the polystyrene to pack the food for their customers.

On December 30 last year, the federal territories minister, Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor told that it was compulsory for all businesses from food hawkers, morning market and night market traders, to food establishments, commercial complexes and industrial centres to use only biodegradable materials at all three federal territories, namely, Labuan, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.

He said further that they would carry out enforcement in all three federal territories to ensure the food operators adhere the new rule.

“We will take a five-pronged approach to ensure that the ban is enforced.

“The five ways are through: revoking licence, imposing a penalty fee, forfeiting deposit, confiscating goods and imposing jail term.

“As you can see we are serious about this. Amendments (to the law) were made to enable the usage of biodegradable products in Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan,” he said, adding that in Labuan, compounds would be issued under the Trades Licensing Ordinance 1948.

Tengku Adnan said the decision to ban polystyrene was based on two main reasons, namely, the danger it poses to health and the high cost of waste management.

He added that only biodegradable food containers, plates, cups, bowls, spoons, forks, straws and plastic bags for takeaway was allowed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *